1931 Bugatti T49 Roadster by Petera
|Body||Roadster by Petera of Vrchlabí|
|Engine||Inline 8-cylinder, OHC, 3.257 cm³ with 3 valves per cylinder|
Ultimate expression of Ettore Bugatti’s original design, the Type 49 debuted at the Paris Salon in 1930 and was produced from then until 1934. The Type 49 would be the last of the Etore’s eight-cylinder, single-camshaft touring cars and is considered by many to be the finest of all ‘real’ Bugattis. The new 3.3-litre model featured twin-plug ignition, an enlarged radiator, ball-change gearlever and very pretty cast aluminium wheels among many other improvements. As a result the Type 49 enjoyed great commercial success, almost 470 examples being sold during its three-year production run.
This automobile chassis #49227 was delivered on September 23, 1931 to a wealthy industrialist and automobile enthusiast F. Morawetz. After the war this lovely Type 49 changed the ownership few times and in 1953 ended with Ing. Kubíček great car enthusiast and amateur racing driver. In 1973 the car was exported and later restored in Switzerland and stayed in the same collection in for many decades.